South Africa has a myriad of amazing places to see and experience. Most South Africans only visit Joburg, Cape Town and Durban, usually because it’s easier to stick with a safe bet.
If you’re one of these people, it’s time to ease your wanderlust, unleash your inner explorer and get stuck into other magical destinations South Africa has to offer. Whether you get there by air, train or car, there is so much to see and do in SA that you really don’t have an excuse to stay at home anymore.
Here are 5 awesome local destinations have to visit:
- Cango Caves in Oudtshoorn. The Cango Caves site was discovered in 1780 and its history dates back to 4 500 million years ago. Experience out-of-this-world underground Adventure Tours that feature cellar-like chambers and low passageways as well as endless rock formations to explore. The tiniest passage that tourists will need to squeeze through is just under 15cm. So when you visit, be sure to know when to leave your claustrophobia at home.
- Battlefields in KwaZulu-Natal. If you’re a history buff, this one is for you. The battlefields display and uncover the chilling stories of the bloodiest battles fought in South Africa over 70 years ago between the British, the Dutch-born Boers and the Zulu nation. There are various routes that are divided in specific eras and wars to choose from. Go on a tour and re-live the journey of the time period which most catches your fancy. Working on a budget? Find the cheapest flight to Durban today.
- Maboneng Precinct in Johannesburg. Maboneng means ‘Place of Light’ in Sotho and is a great place to unwind with a few cocktails, eat good food with the family or to go on an excursion to a museum with the family. If you’re an artsy person then its numerous art galleries will have you hooked. Take a cheap flight to Johannesburg and be sure to visit one of the most vibrant places in Joburg!
- Supertubes at Dolphin Beach in Jeffery’s Bay. Ever surfed before? If not then you haven’t fully enjoyed life yet! It’s also never too late to try a new sport (hint, hint). Apart from being the ultimate surfer’s destination in South Africa, Dolphin Beach also has a fantastic reef to snorkel on calm days. If you’re looking to learn how to surf, then booking a cheap flight from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth is exactly what you should do!
- Augrabies Falls in Upington. Established in 1966, Augrabies Falls is known for its numerous rock formations. It was referred to by the Khoisan as the ‘Place of Noise’ and flows at about 56 metres high. Hurry up and take that flight to Upington now to experience Augrabies Falls at its best
So what are you waiting for? Step out of your comfort zone and book a flight to experience one of these incredible destinations.
IMAGE COURTESY OF SHUTTERSTOCK.COM